Some companies have turn into lax with Covid-19 steps
A recent publication of the Kaieteur Information (January 12, 2021) carried a information posting headed, `31 businesses warned for breaching COVID-19 measures’. The report stated that the National Covid-19 Process Power issued the warning letters to the firms for breaching the gazetted Covid-19 regulation. The article extra that some of the businesses have been repeated offenders and so they were threatened with closure if they ended up identified to be constantly non-compliant. Astonishingly, the Hon. Minister of Training also announc-ed that even some faculties are complicit. This is alarming and even frightening.
Not only is this a display of disrespect for authority, legislation and purchase, but it is also a risk to the wellbeing and perfectly-currently being of citizens in the face of a pandemic that has infected above 6,500 Guyanese and killed 170 to day. Guyana can unwell afford to shed several additional of its citizens to this pandemic. All lives make a difference.
It is noted that some businesses have turn into lax with the Covid-19 steps they executed at the commencing of the pandemic in Guyana. Initially, consumers had been greeted at the entrance of the businesses by a employees member who took the temperature and applied sanitizer to the palms of the buyers but it seems that these actions have waned. Some of the modifications noted are as follows:
1. The sanitizer now dangles from a string or is positioned on a shelf at the entrance and all and sundry have to hold/ touch the bottle to utilize the sanitizer (and remember that some people are asymptomatic).
2. Considering that there is no 1 to observe or implement the sanitizer, some consumers either do not implement it or carry out an act as if they did implement it, when in fact they faked it.
3. Some personnel customers who just take the temperature at the entrance do not even trouble to glance at the reading on the instrument. They just go as a result of the motions of positioning the instrument shut to the hand of the customer and wave them on.
4. In a handful of cases, when consumers existing their hand to have their temperature taken, the staff members member at the entrance informs them that the gadget is not performing.
5. Actual physical/social distancing is observed in the breach.
Editor, all of this is taking put at a time when there is a resurgence/spike of bacterial infections and fatalities and the discovery in some nations around the world, such as neighbouring Brazil, of new strains of the Covid-19 virus that are additional contagious. What is also unsettling is the rejection by the Hon. Minister of Overall health of the announcement by a local laboratory that it experienced detected a new strain of the Covid-19 virus in Guyana. Whose report really should we believe? Let us get it ideal Guyana. No place for mistake now. There are by now suspicions of the precision of some of the induce of fatalities of some individuals by Covid-19. Sufficient.
There is some consolation that vaccines have been created to address the virus but these will consider some time prior to they get there in Guyana. So, permit us do not allow our guard down. Permit us go on to observe the Covid-19 protocols. Do your element. Allow us make it a countrywide energy. Covid-19 will not go absent at any time shortly. Major up and nuff respect to all of the entrance-line team who are battling this pandemic. Let us display our love for them by remaining conscious of our steps and undertaking our aspect to heal the environment.
Bernel L.H. Wickham